Sweeping Changes and New Beginnings
- On Monday Big Sister began her first day as a professional cosmetologist at Studio 139 in Hernando, Mississippi. After months of wrangling to even take her state board exams, she passed them with flying colors and started work this week.
- Tuesday brought a big election day in our county. Big Sister and Older Brother voted for the first time.
- After home schooling through the sixth grade, the Little Fella entered seventh grade at Lewisburg Middle School. He started school on Wednesday.
- Saturday morning, we loaded Older Brother’s truck and our car and drove to Mississippi State University for the first of his college years. It was a bittersweet day, especially for Mrs. Right. As she fought sadness upon our return home, she found a very thoughtful note full of appreciation for her. Well played, Older Brother, well played.
- The boys weren’t the only ones heading back to school this week. A phone call from out in left field on Saturday led to another conversation, which led to my accepting a teaching position at Northpoint Christian School. I will be teaching high school English (and one geography class) to students who have learning difficulties of various types. This news of sweeping changes and new beginnings for me has apparently begged two questions from those who know me:
Two Questions Answered
- Yes, I will continue to write. As a matter of fact, my writing group critiqued the first chapter of Season Two of the Coach Dave series last week. One of the series of blog posts I have written over the last two years is about a method for busy writers to “find” time to write. I’ll be engaging my own advice to find cracks and the occasional fissure of time between the busy parts of my life. Not only that, but I will continue to sharpen my own skills as I teach the next generation those same skills.
- No, I am not returning to coaching. But I will continue to work to build players, parents, and coaches of youth sports through the Coach Dave series and the speaking opportunities it creates.
photo credit: <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/25384802@N08/5098366776″>swept away</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/”>(license)</a>